Monday, October 19, 2015

The Jock and the Fat Girl


The Jock and the Fat Chick
By
Nicole Winters

Debut Romance Novel  *  250 pages  *  HarperCollins
Genre:
YA / NA. Mild swearing. No explicit sex.
Buy Links:



Author Bio:

Nicole Winters:
Born into a literary family.
Could write before speaking.
Spent childhood in sunshiny green meadows devouring highbrow literary works.

Untrue!

More like she was told that C-average, learning disabled students couldn’t possibly grow up to be writers.

Nicole proved them wrong.

#rebellious
#allthingsfunny
#dudevoice
#braaap!
#bodyacceptance
#hotYARomance

English B.A. from the University of Toronto. Loves cats, books, horror films, globe hopping and home-baked cookies. Had once been spotted wearing a sundress.

Cool dudes and motorcycles: TT Full Throttle
Hot guys and romance: The Jock And The Fat Chick

Nicole is currently at work on her third book involving magic called, The Conjurer.


Blurb:
No one ever said high school was easy. In this hilarious and heartwarming debut, one high school senior has to ask himself how much he's willing to give up in order to fit in.
Kevin seems to have it all: he's popular, good looking, and on his way to scoring a college hockey scholarship. However, he's keeping two big secrets. The first is that he failed an assignment and is now forced to take the most embarrassing course ever--domestic tech. The second is that he is falling for his domestic tech classmate, Claire.
As far as Kevin is concerned, Claire does have it all: she's funny, smart, beautiful, and confident. But she's off-limits. Because Kevin knows what happens when someone in his group dares to date a girl who isn't a cheerleader, and there's no way he is going to put himself—or Claire—through that.
But steering clear of the girl of his dreams is a lot harder than Kevin thought…especially when a cooking project they are paired together for provides the perfect opportunity for things to heat up between them outside the classroom….

Excerpt:
I raise an eyebrow, letting her know I’m listening, but I’m not sure where she’s going with this.
“I tell you what to do and say around Mrs. A, and that way I keep my A and you can pass this class.”
I consider Claire’s offer. On the one hand, I don’t like her calling me a dumb jock. On the other, she’s amazingly good at cooking and needs to keep her grades high, which means if I do what she says, I’ll pass too. I’ve got nothing to lose, so I nod.
“Okay,” I say.
She gives me this big warm smile, like I’ve made her day.
“Good.” She motions to the fish. “Keep flaking.”
I respond with a “Yes, Coach,” as a lighthearted way of sealing our deal.
When I’m done flaking, Claire adds the fish to the thick rice mixture and then stirs, making my mouth water. It looks and smells incredible. There must be a million grams of carbs in there. If I ate all that, I’d slip into a carb coma.
Claire pulls a large wooden spoon from the drawer and then offers it to me. “Want to taste?”
She’s surprised when I shake my head, like I have no clue what I’ve turned down.
“Ugh,” she says. “Don’t tell me you’re one of those carb-counting gym rats.”
I make a face. “I hate the term ‘gym rat’; it makes me sound greasy.”
“True.” Claire sizes me up and then adds, “And you’re definitely not greasy.”
Hey, did she just check me out?
“Okay, how’s ‘don’t tell me you’re one of those carb-counting fitness bunnies’?”
I grunt, amused.
“I bet you work out twice a day,” she goes on, stirring the risotto, “and you eat nothing but skinless chicken and steamed broccoli.”
I shrug.
She bobs her head, like she’s confirming something. “Yeah, you look like a guy who denies himself pleasure....”
An unexpected rush of heat spreads across my face. “Well, if you want six-pack abs, there’s got to be sacrifices.”
Claire glances at my stomach, and even though she can’t see anything under my shirt and apron, she turns her gaze away and smiles, big.

That was definitely a check-me-out move.

1. How did you get started writing?
I really enjoyed movies growing up, so when I was a student at the University of Toronto, I joined Hart House’s New Filmmaker’s Club. There were roughly thirty of us at our first meeting, sitting at this huge Harry Potter dining hall style table. The other students were vying for the director’s position in the club, so while they chatted, I used the time to write my first ten-minute short film. When I finished, something just hit me. It was like a horrible cliché; it felt as if the clouds parted and a ray of sun shone down upon me. I just knew storytelling was what I wanted to do.
2. Name three things on your desk right now.
Camera that needs charging, two empty pint sized mugs of tea, and jewellery: four silver rings and a bracelete.

3. Hamburger or sushi?
Definitely sushi.

4. If I were your favorite cookie I would be what flavor?
I’d be one of the cookies I get at the The Chocolateria. He makes them with high quality real ingredients — good chocolate, butter, etc. along with leftover ingredients from his other chocolate goodies, which is the real secret. You don’t snarf this cookie down, no-no. It’s a put on a pot of tea and sit in your favourite chair with a good book by your side kind of cookie.

5. Open your new release to any page and tell us what is happening.
Claire’s teaching Kevin how to properly hold a knife, but he’s not paying attention because she’s just laid her palm overtop his hand and his heart is thumpity-smashing.

6. Heels, flats or sneakers? (or nothing at all)
Motorcycle boots.

7. Tell us one tip you would pass on to new writers.
If it’s in your heart to tell stories, don’t let anyone stop you.

8. Plotter or pantster?
Definite plotter.

9. What is your favorite movie or book and why?
This is a tough one as there are just so many. I love ALMOST FAMOUS as I used it as a tool to help me understand Joseph Campbell’s work on the hero’s journey.

10. What's next on your writerly horizon?
THE CONJURER, a story involving stage magic.

11. (for YA) What do you think makes your book connect and resonate with teen readers?
There is a raw honesty to it. My characters aren’t know it all’s. They’re trying to navigate and make sense of the world, just as much as my readers are.

12. (horror/zombie) Do you write about things that scare you? If so, what and (gasp) why?
Yes. I like to write about characters who sometimes question the existence of God. What if it’s true? Also, what if it’s not true? Either scenario is terrifying.




No comments: